Thursday, 14th July, 2011

Aston Villa are wasting no time replacing Stewart Downing by targeting Wigan Athletic winger Charles N’Zogbia.

Downing is on his way to Anfield after Liverpool improved their bid and Villa deemed the offer on the table acceptable. The 26-year-old must just pass a medical and agree personal terms with Kenny Dalglish’s side, neither of which are assumed to be a problem.

And Villa, well aware of the disappointment amongst their supporters at having lost Ashley Young (to Manchester United) earlier in the summer and now Downing, want to strike quickly and tie up a deal for N’Zogbia.



Aston Villa are thought to have offered Wigan around £9M for the Frenchman and are willing to do whatever it takes to smooth the passage of the former Newcastle United man to Villa Park.

Newcastle themselves had been interested in re-signing N’Zogbia, but Magpies’ boss Alan Pardew has admitted that there is little chance of the 25-year-old pitching up at St. James’ Park.

"I am told that Charles has got an imminent move, so I don’t think that will be us", said the ex-West Ham boss.


   Latest Features: